NEOCLASSICAL PIANO PRELUDES
Going the extra mile with our neoclassical piano solo releases, our intention is to highlight and illuminate the real and pure acoustic sound of a live performance on a grand piano.
The eleven Piano Prelude compositions featured on the album are atmospheric, minimalist, contemporary, and classical with subtle shifting harmonic and melodic movements with contrapuntal rhythms.
Recorded in Berlin at Hansa Studio Complex 2022.
Album review Kathy Parsons
Neoclassical Piano Preludes is a wonderful collection of eleven original solo piano preludes composed and performed by award-winning, multi-faceted German composer and instrumentalist Gerhard Daum. “Preludes” are were originally defined as shorter pieces intended to be played before larger works, but in the hands of composers like Chopin, Debussy, Rachmaninov and many others, preludes became entities unto themselves – especially those composed for piano. I have reviewed several of Daum’s many albums and have loved them all. His recorded music that I have heard is more expressive and emotional than flashy, although his soundtrack work covers a wide variety of film genres and musical styles. He has worked extensively in both Germany and the US and is currently based in Berlin.
I can’t say I have a favorite of these eleven Preludes – I really like them all! The titles of the preludes are just the number of their playing order, 1-11, leaving the “meaning” of the music up to the listener. For me, “Prelude 1” is quietly reflective and perhaps a bit nostalgic and bittersweet – a lovely start! “Prelude 2” has a very fluid and expressive feeling of strength and optimism. “Prelude 3” goes much darker with a changing palette of chords that convey deep thought and emotion. “Prelude 5” seems to be searching for something with its “subtle shifting harmonic colors.” Several themes are woven together to create a beautiful whole. “Prelude 6” begins with a very minimalist series of chords, developing into a series of poignant and expressive themes that are elegant, graceful and deeply moving. Deeply reflective and introspective, “Prelude 9” seems to be looking inward for answers and direction while working through a dilemma or process – very honest and sincere. “Prelude 10” has a dreamy, slightly other-worldly feeling that I find evocative and intriguing. If I could choose only one Prelude, I think it would be this one. “Prelude 11” seems a bit lighter and more optimistic, bringing this excellent album to a close with a warm smile.
If you haven’t yet discovered the music of Gerhard Daum, Neoclassical Piano Preludes is a great place to start! Longtime fans will also be delighted with this new work! It is available from Amazon, Apple Music/iTunes, and many streaming sites including Spotify. Very highly recommended!
AMERICAN SUITE – Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
An inspirational American journey with a collection from original film music cues, performed on Dobro, acoustic classical and electric guitars, accompanied by string ensemble. Enjoy the trip!
“Jazz Ballads” – Chilled State of the Art Listening Experience
Jazz Ballads represents the art of instrumental storytelling based on beautiful melodies and the sonic identity of the lead instrument, the trumpet.
voices from the press: Kathy Parsons (mainlypiano.com)
- Air 3:16 Trumpet theme, smooth and light as a feather, with acoustic piano, upright bass, and brushed drums
- Nightbird 3:37 Subtle and elaborate trumpet lines with acoustic piano, upright bass, and lively drums
- Welcome Back 3:05 Groovy and rhythmical trumpet melody with acoustic guitars, upright bass, and joyful drums
- Alone Together 3:18 Classy, contemporary jazz standard with leading trumpet accompanied by piano, upright bass, and brushed drums
- Road Less Traveled 3:54 Contemporary cinematic blues trumpet theme with steel guitars, upright bass and live drums
- Kreuzberg Cafe 3:49 Trumpet Bossa theme with acoustic and electric guitars, upright bass, and drums
- Abendstimmung 3:34 Warm and tender trumpet with acoustic piano, upright bass, and feather light brushed drums
- Reel Inn 3:05 Muted trumpet, cool and chilled with vintage guitars, Rhodes piano, upright bass, and lively swinging drums
- Shades of Blue 1:52 Haunting flugelhorn theme, sophisticated and emotional with acoustic piano, upright bass, and brushed drums
- Route 96 3:25 Catchy muted trumpet theme underlined with fretless bass, steel guitars and drums
- Garden of Dreams 2:55 Gentle flowing trumpet melody with acoustic piano, upright bass, and relaxed brush strokes
- Soulcatcher 2:51 Soulful bluesy trumpet cue with acoustic piano, upright bass, and gentle brushed drums
- Easy Living 3:30 Lush and easy trumpet Bossa theme with acoustic guitars, piano, and light drums
- Reprise 2:52 Trumpet around midnight, relaxed and thoughtful accompanied by piano, upright bass, and drums